Here’s how to make Navajo Tacos, like the ones they make on Native American Reservations.
Ingredients you’ll need to make Navajo Tacos:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (Bluebird flour works the best)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 – 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees) (Can use water, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon butter or shortening, melted
- Vegetable oil, for frying (sometimes I use half olive oil)
The dough is flattened and rolled into a flat circle and then fried on both sides in a pan of oil (about an inch deep). To turn fry bread into a Navajo Taco, just put meat, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, etc. on top.
*Article contributed by Nick of the New Mexico Farmington Mission.