Every missionary could use some of the added strength that can be found in the scriptures. Read through these and share one with your special Elder or sister.
Be Thou an Example: Missionary Examples to Follow
In the Book of Mormon, a righteous son of Lehi and Sariah (1 Ne. 1:1–4; 2:5). Nephi had strong faith in the word of God (1 Ne. 3:7) and became a great prophet, record keeper, and leader of his people.
In the Book of Mormon, a son of King Mosiah. Ammon served as a missionary whose diligent efforts helped to convert many souls to Christ.
- Was an unbeliever who sought to destroy the Church:Mosiah 27:8–10, 34;
- An angel appeared to him and his companions:Mosiah 27:11;
- Repented and began preaching the word of God:Mosiah 27:32–28:8;
John the Baptist
The son of Zacharias and Elisabeth in the New Testament. John was sent to prepare the people to receive the Messiah (John 1:19–27). He held the keys of the Aaronic Priesthood and baptized Jesus Christ.
An Apostle in the New Testament. Paul’s Hebrew name was Saul, and he went by this name until the beginning of his mission to the Gentiles. He had previously persecuted the Church but was converted to its truth after seeing a vision of Jesus Christ. Paul went on three major missionary journeys and wrote many letters to the Saints. Fourteen of these letters form a part of the New Testament today. He was finally taken as a prisoner to Rome and was killed, probably in the spring of A.D. 65.
- Consented to the stoning of Stephen:Acts 7:57–8:1;
- Persecuted the Saints:Acts 8:3;
- Was traveling to Damascus when Jesus appeared to him:Acts 9:1–9;
- Was baptized by Ananias:Acts 9:10–18;
- After retiring into Arabia, returned to Damascus to preach:Acts 9:19–25; ( Gal. 1:17; )
An Old Testament prophet who was called by the Lord to preach repentance to the city of Nineveh (Jonah 1:1–2).
- Brigham Young was called to be President over the Twelve Apostles:D&C 124:127;
- Brigham Young was commended for his labors and relieved of future travel abroad:D&C 126;
- The Lord instructed Brigham Young how to organize the Saints for their westward trek:D&C 136;
- Brigham Young was among the choice ones in the spirit world:D&C 138:53;
Parley P. Pratt
Older brother of Orson Pratt and one of the first Twelve Apostles called after the restoration of the Church in modern times (D&C 124:128–129). Parley Pratt was called on the first of several missionary efforts when the Lord gave a revelation to him through Joseph Smith in October 1830 (D&C 32; 50:37).
Moroni, Son of Mormon
The last Nephite prophet in the Book of Mormon (circa A.D. 421). Just before Mormon’s death, he delivered a historical record called the plates of Mormon to his son Moroni (W of M 1:1). Moroni finished compiling the plates of Mormon. He added chapters 8 and 9 to the book of Mormon (Morm. 8:1). He abridged and included the book of Ether (Ether 1:1–2) and added his own book called the book of Moroni (Moro. 1:1–4). Moroni sealed up the plates and hid them in the hill Cumorah (Morm. 8:14; Moro. 10:2). In 1823 Moroni was sent as a resurrected being to reveal the Book of Mormon to Joseph Smith (JS—H 1:30–42, 45; D&C 27:5). He instructed the young prophet each year from 1823 to 1827 (JS—H 1:54) and finally delivered the plates to him in 1827 (JS—H 1:59). After completing the translation Joseph Smith returned the plates to Moroni.
In the Old Testament, the son of Lamech and the tenth patriarch from Adam (Gen. 5:29–32). He testified of Christ and preached repentance to a wicked generation. When the people rejected his message, God commanded him to build an ark to house his family and all the animals when the earth was flooded to destroy the wicked (Gen. 6:13–22; Moses 8:16–30). The prophet Joseph Smith taught that Noah is the angel Gabriel and stands next to Adam in holding the keys of salvation.
Samuel the Lamanite
A Lamanite prophet in the Book of Mormon sent by the Lord to teach and warn the Nephites just before the Savior’s birth. Samuel prophesied of signs relating to the birth and death of Jesus Christ and of the destruction of the Nephites (Hel. 13–16).
Peter was the chief Apostle of his day. After the death, resurrection, and ascension of the Savior, he called the Church together and directed the calling of an Apostle to replace Judas Iscariot (Acts 1:15–26). Peter and John healed a man who was lame from birth (Acts 3:1–16) and were miraculously released from prison (Acts 5:11–29; 12:1–19). It was through Peter’s ministry that the gospel was first opened to the Gentiles (Acts 10–11). In the latter days, Peter, with James and John, came from heaven and conferred the Melchizedek Priesthood and the keys thereof upon Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery (D&C 27:12–13; 128:20).
Aaron, Son of Mosiah
In the Book of Mormon, a son of King Mosiah. Aaron served as a missionary whose diligent efforts helped to convert many souls to Christ.
How to Find Strength When You Feel Weak
- How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that publisheth salvation:Isa. 52:7;
- I will both search my sheep and seek them out:Ezek. 34:11;
- Preach the gospel to every creature:Mark 16:15; ( Morm. 9:22; )
- The fields are white already to harvest:John 4:35;
- And how shall they preach, except they be sent:Rom. 10:15;
- Teach them the word of God with all diligence:Jacob 1:19;
- The Lord grants unto all nations to teach his word:Alma 29:8;
- The gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple:D&C 1:23;
- A marvelous work is about to come forth:D&C 4:1;
- If you labor all your days and bring one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy:D&C 18:15;
- Mine elect hear my voice and harden not their hearts:D&C 29:7;
- Go forth preaching my gospel, two by two:D&C 42:6;
- The sound must go forth from this place:D&C 58:64;
- Open your mouths in proclaiming my gospel:D&C 71:1;
- Proclaim truth according to the revelations and commandments:D&C 75:4;
- Every man who has been warned should warn his neighbor:D&C 88:81; ( D&C 38:40–41; )
- The Lord will provide for the families of those who preach the gospel:D&C 118:3;
- The servants of God shall go forth:D&C 133:38;
- Faithful elders, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors:D&C 138:57;