December’s been an excellent month! Overall 2016 has been an excellent year, and I can’t wait for 2017!
Here are some updates:
- We’ve continued adding written mission surveys to the mission pages.
- We’ve continued adding missionary blogs to the missionary blog index.
- We’ve continued to conduct/edit/upload video interviews with returned missionaries.
- We’ve begun creating long form compilation videos on our YouTube channel (that have helped us to double our YouTube channel watch time within only about two weeks of little effort).
- We’ve found out we will likely have three small teams of interns next semester (the most we’ve ever had is two- so this is super exciting to go from 3 interns this semester, to potentially 15 interns next semester).
In January we plan to pay my friend Christopher to work with me full-time to code a Lifey app. The idea behind the Lifey app is to do what Prepare to Serve has done for pre-missionaries, but better, and for hundreds of topics. I’m sure the details will likely change, but the idea is to give people the virtual experience of being able to browse by any life experience, ask questions and get dozens of video responses from people who have relevant experiences and insights.
A few examples of use case scenarios of the Lifey app.
- A pre-missionary asks Finland returned missionaries what to pack, and gets over a half dozen minute-long video responses from Finnish RMs.
- A mother discovers her baby has Type 1 Diabetes and asks mothers who have children with Type 1 Diabetes for advice on caring for her baby. She gets a dozen minute-long video responses on how to care for her baby.
- A person asks Jehovah’s Witnesses what common misconceptions are of their faith and receives dozens of minute-long video responses from active Jehovah’s Witnesses.
- A person considering becoming a TV reporter asks what the hardest part of being a TV reporter is and a dozen TV reporters give their minute-long video response.
We’ll see how the Lifey app ends up working. It’s a leap of faith, in that we currently don’t have enough income to be able to pay for both us and Christopher to work full-time ongoing. But that’s what we’d like to do. I think our biggest challenge will be seeing if we can get people to participate by answering the questions about their experiences and insights.
Feel free to wish us luck! In the next few weeks we’ll be zeroing in on our goals for this semester, with our three teams of interns, so stay tuned!
Happy New Years!
PreparetoServe.com – Traffic Report
*In December we received 1,865 suspicious traffic session requests from Russia. It caused our AWS server to go down, so I rebuilt the server and increased it’s memory capacity and security settings. So 1,865 sessions should be subtracted from the below website analytics. Since we rebuilt the server the suspicious traffic from Russia has stopped.
Website Analytics – December 2016
- Users: 58,230 (last month=53,879)
- Sessions: 72,662 (last month=68,396)
- Page views: 128,065 (last month=116,007 )
- New visitors: 70.2% (last month=69.1%)
- Returning visitors: 29.8% (last month=30.9%)
Top Cities (visitors):
- Salt Lake City
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- West Jordan
- Quezon City
- South Jordan
- St. George
- Search visits: 47,316 (last month=46,277)
- Referral visits: 1,510 (last month=1,688)
- Direct visits: 8,139 (last month=7,565)
- Social visits: 15,697 (last month=12,866)
Top Referring Websites:
- Mormon Missions Exposed
- LDS Media Talk
Website all-time stats (September 2012-December 2016)
- Users: 1,666,965
- Sessions: 2,504,222
- Page Views: 5,098,983
YouTube Analytics – December 2016
- Total subscribers: about 30,750 (last month=29,900)
- Total video interview segments: about 11,996 (last month=11,871)
- December video views: 727,918 (last month=718,921)
- December view time (in minutes): 1,703,473 (last month=1,492,271)
Lifetime YouTube Analytics
- Total video views: 21,228,580
- Total view time (in minutes): 47,067,319